You are invited to Submit your Application for the Write Project Film Fund: 2020/2021.
A global pandemic means three things: traditional production is shut down, writers are shut in, and coping mechanisms get a shout-out. The Write Project is pleased to announce that the call for submissions for its first application cycle of its R200 million film fund will open on Wednesday 1 July 2020.
The film fund was created for the specific purpose to promote the development and production of professionally produced filmed entertainment in South Africa for exhibition internationally. Formed in February 2020, The Write Project Film Fund is a subsidiary of PSP Media Capital, a next-generation media finance company that is backed by Asian Investment Partners based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Hong Kong, China.
About the Write Project:
The concept for The Write Project is to seek out remarkable screenwriters who have the potential to succeed on the global stage, but also to develop aspiring screenwriters from around South Africa with an opportunity to make a film project in collaboration with our creative team and other distinguished industry professionals.
Submission of applications is now open for the following eligible projects:
- Feature Films: We are looking for completed scripts in all genres or a fully packaged project seeking production finance.
- Short Films: Short filmmaking is in the midst of a renaissance. We are looking for 15 – 30 aspirant filmmakers who will be offered the opportunity to develop a short form script for production. The development will be done in consultation with our creative team who will teach successful applicants the much-needed writing skills and techniques used in the industry.
- Documentary Films/Series: We are looking for documentary scripts. This does not have to be a completed script. A treatment or any other pitch document that shows the project’s potential can be submitted.
- Television Series: We are looking for completed TV scripts written on spec for an original show you’ve created from scratch. We also accept web series, non-traditional series pilots as well as reality television concepts that display originality, vision, and exceptional potential.
This application cycle offers expanded deadlines for features, shorts, documentaries, and teleplays. Deadlines are as follows:
Features + Documentaries + Teleplays Categories
- Regular Deadline – 15 September 2020
- Final Deadline – 31 October 2020
- Regular Deadline – 31 August 2020
- Final Deadline – 15 September 2020
The project also offers feedback via PDF markups. Applicants have the unique opportunity to review notes directly within their script and better understand the thought process behind each suggestion.
In order for a screenwriter to be considered for these projects, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- We welcome applications from South African residents only.
- Only complete scripts in English and Afrikaans will be accepted.
- Vernacular languages are also eligible if subtitles are provided.
- The various projects are open to all writers over the age of 18 years old.
- All material submitted to other competitions and/or grant programmes are eligible for submission.
- There are no requirements as to when the material was written.
- All material must be submitted electronically as a PDF or it will not be eligible.
- Applicants need to complete the online project submission form.
For more detail regarding The Write Project Film Fund, application guidelines and how you can be part of it, simply click on the link below.
The Write Project is a proud supporter of The Writer’s Guild of South Africa (WGSA) and Sisters Working In Film & Television (SWIFT).